Job Related Burnout (JRB) has become epidemic among professionals, especially among medical professionals, and the numbers are rising. The benefits to individuals and businesses of detecting, mitigating and preventing JRB are enormous.
For businesses, burned out employees create additional workplace problems which demand additional resources. The costs can be disastrously high. Dissatisfied workers lead to inferior products and services which leads to dissatisfied patients, clients or customers. Dissatisfied consumers lead to a loss of business and falling profit margins. This is a recipe for failure.
The benefits to businesses of mitigating, alleviating and preventing JRB can be the difference between a business which is thriving and one which is floundering or, worse yet, failing. Here are just some of the benefits of properly addressing JRB for any business:
- Prevent high employee turnover rates
- Decrease customer complaints
- Improve customer satisfaction
- Decrease the potential for litigation
- Increase the quality of products and services
- Overall, a decrease in costs and an increase in profits
Individuals who become burned out are at risk for poor job performance, chronic unhappiness, increased irritability, depression, anxiety and mood swings. Even suicidal thoughts, suicidal actions, alcoholism and drug abuse are documented consequences of job related burnout. Bottom line, if you are burned out you will never feel you are living a life of purpose with passion. It doesn’t have to be this way.
The positive benefits to individuals of detecting, alleviating and preventing JRB are almost too numerous to list. Here are just a few:
- A passion for purposeful work
- An enhanced sense of well-being and connectedness
- Better and more numerous opportunities to attain one’s preferred future
- Improved resilience and hardiness both at work and in one’s personal life
- Engagement at work characterized by, vigor, dedication and absorption
- Improved work-life balance and a more balanced life overall leading to a new freedom and a new happiness
I know firsthand the harmful personal effects of JRB. You see, I am a family physician and at one point in my career I became burned out. I knew I either had to make some changes at work or I was going to have to leave clinical medicine altogether. I made some changes which made all the difference. I was lucky because I happened to make just the right decisions which re-balanced my life and stored my passion for the practice of medicine. That was seven years ago.
Since then, I have been on a mission to learn as much as I can about JRB. I set out to help my colleagues and other professionals of different stripes who are also be suffering from this devastatingly dysfunctional disorder.
6 Video Series on Job Related Burnout
There will be six videos in this series on JRB. Following this introductory video, the other topics I’ll review include –
- Defining Job Related Burnout – the Three Principle Hallmarks which describe and summarize the condition.
- The Scope of JRB and Why It Matters – a close look at the statistics involved within medicine and how this negatively impacts practices and hospitals.
- Six Job Mismatches Which Lead to JRB – a description of the six major underlying causes of JRB in the workplace.
- JRB Can Be Mitigated, Alleviated and Eliminated – an overview of the proper approaches to this problem.
- The REIGNITE Framework – a step by step guide of my own design takes individuals from burned out to on fire by helping them re-balance their lives, recapture the joy and pleasure derived from meaningful work and REIGNITE with a renewed sense of passion and purpose!
Please, journey with me through this video series on JRB. If you are suffering from JRB, know someone who is, or if your business is suffering from costs related to JRB, I know I can help. If after watching the videos you have some questions or would like more information, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Just click on the CONTACT button below. Or, call me at 919-394-7742.
Click to sign up for my email list and to download your FREE copy of: “21 Symptoms of Burnout Checklist“